Thursday, October 4, 2012

Back to School Bulletin Board

For our back to school bulletin board this year, I decided to go with a bird theme.  I came up with the title of "It's going to be a "tweet" year."  Each child made their own bird to decorate the board.




We did the craft like a directed art lesson.  I provided the students with the body shape, the head shape, and the legs.  They drew and cut out the belly, the wings, and the beaks.  They were also given the choice if they wanted their bird to be wide (by putting the oval side-ways) or tall by putting the oval standing tall (like a zero.)

I love how each bird is unique, and equally adorable!



Once the children were finished drawing, cutting, and gluing their bird together, I surprised them by saying that they could each choose some feathers to put on the head.  They were really excited about that!  I like to take any opportunity I can to make something into an event.  By not telling them at the beginning that there would be feathers, it really hyped them up (in a good way!) at the end.


~Mrs. D

2 comments:

  1. This is very cute.
    We have almost the same blog name and are both Mrs. D. CRAZY
    Dynelle
    http://firstgradefunmrsdunn.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are adorable!

    I am happy to be your newest follower. I am excited to have another 1st grade blog to stalk. I would love for you to hop over and visit me when you get the chance. =)

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete